The prime minister has asked the justice secretary to come up with a ‘solution’ to prevent their release

The government are reportedly considering plans to bar all those who committed a type of manslaughter from being freed from jail in a bid to block PC Andrew Harper’s killers from release.

PC Harper was fatally injured in the line of duty when he got caught in a strap attached to the back of a car and was dragged down a country road as the killers fled the scene of a quad bike theft in Sulhamstead, Berkshire, in 2019.

Two out of three of PC Harper’s killers, Albert Bowers and Jessie Cole, are set to be released next year halfway through their 13-year sentences under government plans for early releases designed to tackle overcrowding in jails.

Andy Burnham has asked the justice secretary Alex Norris to come up with a “solution” to prevent their inclusion in the early release scheme following public backlash.

Bowers and Cole, who were passengers in the car, were convicted in 2020 of unlawful act manslaughter, as they knew they were committing a crime that could cause harm, but could not be proven that they intended to kill their victim.

The government are looking to ban those who are serving unlawful act manslaughter crimes, while other forms of manslaughter such as gross negligence would still be released, The Times reports.

The prospect of their release has prompted widespread condemnation of the scheme in which some 5,000 people are expected to be released early under sentencing changes, down from 6,000 after ministers exempted rapists and “serious” child sex offenders.

As of Friday morning, the online petition set up by Aileen O’Connor, chairwoman of Thames Valley Police Federation, had reached more than one million signatures.

It comes after the prime minister said last week that he “wouldn’t forgive myself” if he did not try to lessen the “anguish” of the officer’s family.

In an interview with LBC, Mr Burnham was asked if he had a message for Aimee Harper, the sister of the Pc Harper, and who had shared with the broadcaster her experience of sitting in the courtroom with his killers.

Asked what he would directly say to Ms Harper, Mr Burnham replied: “That I hear you, I feel for you. I wouldn’t forgive myself if I didn’t do everything I possibly could to try and lessen your anguish, and I am doing that.

“I am turning over every stone. I am looking at everything. I am pushing the system to go further.”

Mr Burnham ordered a review of the early release scheme under the Sentencing Act shortly after taking office, but while changes were announced to prevent rapists and paedophiles being released early the measures did not cover Pc Harper’s killers.

Before this year’s Sentencing Act, they would have served two-thirds of their term.

Mr Burnham previously said he had “pushed the very limits” in the changes he had made to the early release scheme, but has now said he can go further.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *