The boss of Travelodge has resigned after widespread criticism of her handling of security failings at the hotel chain, including a shocking case where a domestic abuser was given a key to a woman’s room before assaulting her.
In a brief company statement on Thursday, Travelodge said Joanna Boydell had stepped down and temporarily replaced by its finance chief, Ray Reidy. The company has launched a formal search for a permanent substitute.
Travelodge chair Stephen Shurrock said the announcement “does not change anything about our focus on safety and security.”
It comes months after former prime minister Keir Starmer wrote to Boydell to warn she must “seriously engage with MPs” over concerns about women’s safety, after a spate of shocking breaches of security that left guests at risk of attack.
The letter was sent after a hotel guest in Berkshire was sexually assaulted by a man who was wrongly given access to her room in 2022. He falsely claimed he was her partner, before sexually assaulting her in her hotel bed. The victim was later offered what she described as an “insulting” £30 refund after the incident.
Earlier this month, it emerged that another woman who had been staying in one of Travelodge’s London hotels to escape her domestic abuser in October 2025, had been attacked after the man was given a key by reception staff.
He persuaded staff to give him access, saying his girlfriend was upstairs having a seizure. Staff did not check with the woman before giving him the card, and pointing him to her room where he kicked in the door, assaulted her and tried to grab her phone.
The woman, who is remaining anonymous, said that she ran “shaking, crying and begging for help”. “I thought someone would protect me,” she told the BBC. Staff then offered her another room in the hotel.
Travelodge has previously defended itself, saying such instances are “very rare” and customer safety is a priority.
